Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Lamont Initiates Progressive Fine Of Fifty Cents an Hour per Book

Lamont Library will charge 50 cents an hour for overdue reserve books starting April 16, Philip J. McNiff, Head Librarian of Lamont, announced yesterday.

McNiff said Lamont has considered instituting a progressive system of fines for some time. He believes this system will "improve our service to undergraduates."

Before vacation, the Student Council voted to recommend to Lamont that it institute a progressive system of fining. But the Council's suggestions were different from the plan Lamont has adopted.

The Council had recommended that the present deadline of 9 a.m. be extended to 9:15 a.m. Then it had asked that the fine for overdue reserve books be reduced from 75 cents to 50 cents. Another 25 cents would be charged for books coming in after 10:15 a.m.

McNiff said he would be glad to discuss the reasons for instituting his method of fining with Council members. The Council proposals came as a result of a report by Thomas W. Hoya '52.