Two City Councillors Deplore Inadequate Police Protection

Despite a recent decline of crime in Cambridge, at least two members of the City Council feel that the city's police protection is inadequate. Councillors Edward J. Sullivan and John Foley voiced this opinion as they cross-examined Chief-of Police John f. King at yesterday's session of the council.

Stressing the many unprotected school crossings in the city, Sullivan and Foley both charged that there were insufficient policemen on the force. King disagreed, saying that he had enough officers to cover the city adequately, but that on days when many reported sick, not all the crossings could be covered. He estimated that 32 to 44 school crossings are patrolled on the average day.

King also presented the Council with a statistical report showing that approximately 100 fewer major crimes were committed in Cambridge in 1950 than in 1949. The report, however, indicated that minor crimes, including those against "chastity, morality, etc." increased slightly.

Asks More Policemen

Sullivan charged that the police force was 30 to 40 men short and blamed City Manager John B. Atkinson for not enlarging it. Atkinson replied by pointing out that Cambridge has the largest police force of any city of comparable size in the United States, save Washington.

Both Atkinson and King approved the idea of an auxiliary force, possibly consisting partly of women. King also said that the crossings without policemen were protected by students who directed children during some hours.

Motorization of the Cambridge force also came under attack as both Sullivan and Foley asked for more patrolmen on foot at night than there are at present.