Track Team Threatens Yale Win Streak Tomorrow Away

For the first time since the championship trio of Jim Fuchs, Vic Frank, and George Wade put on spiked shoes for Eli, Jaakko Mikkola's men will have a better than even chance of winning their annual dual track meet with Yale in New Haven tomorrow.

Although the Blue's three power men are gone, tremendous depth gives the sons of Yale a slight edge over the Crimson. Strong in the distances, hammer, and pole vault, Coach Bob Giegongack's men set two records in last week's Dartmouth meet.

One of the barefoot twins, high jumping George Hipple, cleared 6 feet 3 1/2 inches to set a meet record, while the mile relay team did its duties in 3:22.9. Roland Sultze anchored the mile quartet in a fast 48.4 seconds with John Keene, William Easton, and Peter White as teammates. Sultze also does the 440 in something loss than 49.

In the pole vault, Neil King has made 13 1/2 feet in official meets and is reported to have topped this during practice. Teammate George Appel is even better than King.

For the hammer throw, Yale will use consistent strong man, Joseph Chadbourne, who can manage to fling this weight almost 170 feet.

Other Events Close

Other events should be close, although Yale offers a threat in the dashes in the form of Tod Lewis. Also Frank Efinger, in the mile run, may offer fast competition with his steady 4:19 time.

Giegengack will put Sidney Williams in the 120-yard high hurdles, hoping to see the high stopper better his 15.2 time of last Saturday. The discus will be handled by Robert Spears and Phillip Swett who can only manage an average of 145 feet.

Easton will also run the 220 low hurdles for Yale. He has done 24 seconds, and is not expected to do much better.

The Yardlings will also travel as favorites to the Blue city tomorrow against the Yale freshmen.

First and second place winners in the varsity events will quality for the Oxford-Cambridge meet in England June 23. Freshmen who better their varsity mates in any event will take their places for the trip.