Dean Bender Gives Sanction To Council's Tutorial Report

Says He 'Agrees in General to Committee Proposals Calling For Expanding of Tutorials

Dean Bender last night said he was in general agreement with the Student Council's report on tutorial. The report which Bender termed "admirable," asked that group tutorial be opened to all sophomores, juniors and seniors who are not candidates for honors. It was issued early this month.

In addition to praising the Council proposals, Bender commented that they had been well-timed in view of the newly-formed faculty committee now investigating the tutorial picture.

This committee, under the leadership of Myron P. Gilmore, associate professor of History, was formed this month after the Faculty of Arts and Sciences came out in favor of group tutorial in the five largest fields of concentration.

Such an expanded tutorial setup was advocated in the report of the Bender Committee on advising. The committee also proposed de-centralizing the Dean's Office by transferring some of its functions to the Houses in the form of House Deans.

The Student Council report, praised last night by Bender, called for individual tutorial for all senior honors candidates along with the general expansion.

It is also recommended that tutorial groups should not consist of more than five students, that they should not meet for more than two hours each week, and that tutors and tutees should come from the same Houses wherever possible.

Donald L. M. Blackmer '52 headed the Council committee.