Sheats Wins '54 Election

Freshman Student Council Members

Paul D. Sheats of Chicago and Matthews (right), and John B. Hirsch of Washington, D.C. and Straus Hall were yesterday elected as representatives to the Student Council by the freshman class. They will take office next September, and serve until February 1952.

This is the first year only two freshman Council representatives have been elected. Before the passage of the new constitution, three chairs were open to the entering class, and its representatives served for one year.

The Student Council was forced to continue the elected for an extra day, when a candidate protested that Tuesday's balloting had been unfair. Ballots ran out Tuesday night at 7:15, Seventy more ballots were cast yesterday in the extra voting.

Sheats, who came in first, is captain of the freshman track team, and was awarded one of the prizes given to freshmen by the College for high scholarship. He received 200 votes at the end of the counting of the preferential ballots.

Hirsch is a member of the Glee Club and has done settlement work this year.

Under Council rules, the ballots were counted under a preferential system. Sheats received 200 votes at the end of the counting, and Hirsch came closely behind him. The other candidates were not close to the leaders.