Houses Accept 824 Men Out of 1055 Applicants

192 Freshmen Fail to Place; Those Unassigned Get Outer Dorms Until Enrolment Falls

A total of 824 men out of 1,055 applicants will get into the Houses next year, Dean Watson announced yesterday.

In the Class of 1954, 192 went on House waiting lists. Of the others, all but 20 will enter the Houses of their first choice.

Contrary to a previous University Hall report, those still unassigned by fall will have to take quarters in Claverly or Apley. Watson expects that normal enrollment shrinkage over the summer will enable the 231 unassigned men to find rooms in the Houses.

Those who did not make a House will be put on a waiting list from which Housemasters will make assignments as vacancies occur. As in the past, if summer shrinkage is not so large as expected, waiting list students who room in Claverly or Apley will be given non-resident privileges in a House.

Juniors, Seniors Favored

Owing to the policy of giving preference to juniors and seniors in the two non-resident dorms, all but eight members of the Class of '52, and 31 members of the Class of '53 were admitted to Houses.

Most of these displaced upperclassmen were given the chance to apply for the Houses to which they were attached as non-residents, although many chose to try for others. It is still possible that many or all of these will be admitted to the Houses before College opens in the fall.

The Housing Office will issue specific instructions regarding the moving and storage of personal belongings before the end of the month. These will be posted on all bulletin boards.