Don Quixote League Urges Coop To Elect Its Undergrad Directors

Members of the Don Quixote League yesterday asked the Harvard Coop to elect undergraduates to its board of directors and stop the present appointive system.

A spokesman for the league emphasized that the "Harvard Cooperative Society should be of the students, by the students, and for the students."

Stay Out of Crossfire

He added that "Quixote League, like the present Coop management, wants to keep the student store out of the crossfire of University politics, but at the same time we believe the current system for selecting undergraduate members of the directorate is very undemocratic."

Today the three College students on the board of directors are nominated by the ten non-profit-making stockholders of the Coop. The Quixote League said, "This means that when the new sophomore representative is picked each October, the stockholders--most of whom are on the faculty--tend to pick a student who is well-known to them."

"We would prefer a system under which quiet elections would be held each October over at the Coop with the participating members from each class voting on men nominated by undergraduate petition."

"It is wrong to believe," the Quixote League continued, "that students would take advantage of the privilege of selecting a few of the directors of their own store. Men selected under our new system would serve just as conscientiously as those chosen by the current method."