Brown's Hayes Stops Ball Team, 5-1

Bruin Righty Allows Locals Only 2 Hits

By Edward J. Coughlin

A three-inning pitching lapse by Bob Ward handed the Brown varsity all the runs it needed yesterday, as the Bruins downed Harvard, 5 to 1, as Soldiers Field.

Weakening only slightly in the fourth and fifth innings, tall Brown right-hander Bill Hayes ran his season's win record to four straight by allowing only two Crimson hits and striking out eight.

Ward let in two runs on one hit in the first inning and three more runs on four hits in the third. After this, the sophomore calmed sufficiently to spread the other five Brown blows over an equal number of innings.

Quick Jam

Ward got himself in trouble immediately by walking the first two men to face him, Jack Gilbert and Al Gauthier. Bobby Wheeler fouled out to catcher Charlie Walsh, but Bob MacConnell followed with a single to center, bringing Gilbert across. Gauthier went all the way to third when Ward bobbled the ball on the play.

Gauthier scored on a successful double steal, and MacConnell continued on to third when Walsh let the ball get away. After Steve Fenn filed out to short center and John Schulz walked, MacConnell was thrown out at the plate an another double steal attempt.

In the third, MacConnell hit to left, Fenn popped out, and Schulz singled. Then Dick Sherman collected the first of his three hits, a short single to left. Bennie Akillian's throw-in went over Walsh's head and two runs scored.

The Crimson run came in the last half of the fourth when Walsh led off with a walk. Russ Johnson struck out, but Kev Reilly moved Walsh to third with a single to right, and Walsh came in on Tom Cavanaugh's long fly to right field.