Eleven Reveals New Speed In Spring Training Finale

By Hiller B. Zobel

The football team ended its spring training grind Saturday with a well-heated scrimmage that left the onlooker encouraged, but only slightly.

Specifically, it appears at this point as though Coach Lloyd Jordan will be able to field a faster, and possibly even better first team than last year. But as Jordan himself admitted, "we will not have so much depth."

Anyone who saw the Crimsons (the combined first-fourth teams) advance almost at will against the whites (second-third) would have to agree. The Crimsons won by only 14 to 0--on two touchdowns by Captain Tom Ossman--but they controlled the play throughout. The Whites, led by Red Wylie and Fritz Drill, showed very little offensive or defensive ability.

Chief exception to this was guard Joe shaw, jayvee captain last year. He played a hard, rough game; the Crimsons made little yardage through or around him.

Ossman Runs Well

In fast, though Ossman and a freshman wingback named John Tulenko ran very well for the Crimsons, they made most of their gains on the passing of another freshman, tailback Dick Clasby.

Given fairly good protection, Clasby showed intelligence and coolness, in addition to an accurate arm. Most of his successful passes went to end Paul Crowley, the Crimson's top lineman, on defense as well as attack.

Clasby did little running from either the straight single wing or the fullback-flanker variation which the Crimsons used; when he did, he ran fast and hard. He also took care of the punting with equal success.

The high temperatures had an understandably slowing effect on the players, especially the linemen.

More encouraging was the work of a pair of White backs: Brian Reynolds and swimmer John McNamara. Reynolds, particularly, showed a fine ability to spin when hit, and continue forward.