Bolles Will Close Crew Career With Yale Race

Harvey Love, Freshman Coach, Will Move Up in the Launch When Bolles Leaves for HAA

Tom Bolles, master of Crimson crew fortunes since 1937, will definitely leave his position as coach following the Yale race the CRIMSON has learned. Bolles, who assumes his new office as Director of Athletics on July 1, will be replaced by his protege, Harvey Love.

Bolles has declined to announce any plans until he officially takes office, but it is generally known in high Administration circles that no man can handle both jobs at the same time.

Asked yesterday point blank if he would give up coaching, Bolles parried the question. "I'm the rowing coach until June 22," he said, "and don't intend to cross any bridges in he meantime."

Members of the crew have sensed that the change is coming. When they ask Bolles questions about what he will do next year, he refers them to Love. According to stroke Lou McCagg, it'll be "Win this one for Tom," when the crews leave for Red Top on Thursday.

Love, a former coxswain for Bolles' old school, the University of Washington, has been freshman coach here since shortly after Bolles moved into Newell boathouse. At Washington, Love coxed the same boat in which Bolles rowed during his senior year, a boat that went through its season undefeated.

When Love, thoroughly familiar with Bolles' methods, assumes the varsity spot in the fall, he will continue to instruct the Washington system, having the support of all the present varsity members except Captain Ollie Iselin, the only man in the first eight who is graduating this year. And next year is Olympic Year.