Carswell Wins Dana Reed Award; Crimson Wins Prize for Second Year

Donald Carswell '50 1B, former CRIMSON sports editor, was yesterday awarded the Dana Reed Prize for the best piece of undergraduate writing to appear in an undergraduate publication during the past year. It was the fourth time the prize has been presented, and the second successive award to the CRIMSON.

Carswell's winning entry, "Beating the System," appeared on the editorial page of the CRIMSON on June 14 of last year. It contained detailed instructions on how the academically unprepared student could fool the grader on his exams. His thesis was outlined under three headings, "The Vague Generality," "The Artful Equivocation," and "The Overpowering Assumption."

The award carries with it a $100 prize.

Last year's winner was a series of CRIMSON articles on academic freedom, written by David E. Lilienthal '49, Burton S. Glinn '46, and John G. Simon '50.

The judges in this year's contest were Erwin D. Canham, editor of the Christian Science Monitor, Hamilten Basses, novelist and critic, and David McCord '21, poet and former editor of the Alumni Bulletin.

Carswell in from Brooklyn, New York, and new lives in the Business School's Mellon Hall.