Crimson Basketball Team Loses To Columbia, 68-51, at New York

The varsity basketball team lost its third game of the season and first in Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League competition last night as it fell before Columbia, 68 to 51, at New York. The margin of victory was surprising, since the Crimson was rated as one of the teams capable of wresting the league championship from the Lions, who won it last year.

Returning to its fast break pattern of offense for the first time since early in the season, Columbia took an early lead and was never headed, despite some anxious moments. Two Crimson starters, guard Bill Dennis and center Dick Lionette, kept the varsity in contention until the fourth quarter, when the Lions built up an insurmountable 21 point lead.

Dennis scored 19 points to lead both teams in scoring, while Lionette connected for 16. Nevertheless, four Columbia players, Captain Al Stein, Dick Johnson, Paul Brandt, and Bob Reiss punctured the Crimson's defense for double figures.

Columbia, with Stein tallying nine points, held a 26 to 20 half-time edge. Dennis began to hit from the outside early in the third quarter, however, as the visitors narrowed the margin to 30 to 26.

But the Lions began to-roll as Johnson, Reiss and Brandt started to find the range. With five minutes to play, Columbia led, 60 to 39, and Coach Lou Rossini substitute da flock of reserves.