40 Law Students At Yale Strike in Dispute With City

Yale's Legal Aid Association is still at odds with the city of New Haven.

A dispute on Monday resulted in a walkout of 40 law students from the New Haven Legal Aid Office and yesterday neither side appeared ready to negotiate.

The Y.L.A.A. supplied the working staff of the New Haven Legal Aid office which arranges free counsel to anyone due for trial but unable to pay a lawyer's fee. The arrangement also gives law students a chance for practical experience in court.

In a statement that accompanied the Y.L.A.A.'s vote to withdraw from the city office, James H. Turner, a senior in Yale Law School and director of the association, said "the city failed to provide a competent secretary." He explained that the secretary now employed by city hall constantly lost and misplaced important files, and failed to deliver messages vital to the office's operation.

The association, Turner said, wrote to the mayor and asked for a new secretary. He promised to take action on the matter but never did. The association voted to leave the office in protest on Monday.