Varsity, Yard Swimmers Favored Over Springfield, Brookline Tonight

By Edward J. Coughlin

In a final extra-league splash before taking on Pennsylvania this Saturday, the Crimson swimmers meet a fair team from Springfield College at 8 p.m. tonight in the Blockhouse. Harvard will once again be heavily favored.

In a preliminary match Bill Brooks' good freshman squad should also defeat Brookline High School. Brookline was scheduled because Springfield allows freshmen to compete on varsity teams. The Yardling meet starts at 7 p.m.

While chances are than none from the physical education college will drown in the pool tonight. Springfield is not, and never has been, a swimming power. Coach Charles Silvia has plenty of depth on his squad, but only a handful of the Indians can cause trouble for the Crimson.

For one thing. Silvia has a diver named Pat Huddleston, whom he claims can keep the competition interesting for Pete Dillingham in the low board competition. The Harvard ace went through the regular season undefeated last year and showed more improvement this fall.

Springfield goes in for co-captains in all sports, and swimmers Sterling Jones and Frank Coleman are both strong free stylers. Jones, however, will compete with Dave Hedberg, Ron Huebsch, and John McNamara in Harvard's strongest event, the 50-yard freestyle. But Hedberg may be pulled out of the sprint once again to furnish competition in the 220 for Springfield's Coleman and Bill Yorzyt, another fine freestyler.

Crimson sophomore Mary Sandler and Dick Fouquet should be able to lead Indians Paul Mack and Duke Snyder in the quarter-mile race. Springfield freshman Jack Mayers is strong in the 200-yard backstroke, where sophomore Don Mulvey currently leads the Crimson, and in the 150-yard individual medley.