Stargel's Run Not His First; Jordan Wants Youngest Utz

By Richard B. Kline

Running with the ball is nothing new to Bob Stargel, the outside tackle who startled fans in the Stadium Saturday with a 27-yard dash around end to set up the Crimson's second touchdown.

Stargel started out in football as a fullback while a freshman at Cincinnati Walnut Hills High School and played offensive halfback as a sophomore. That season, Stargel was switched to end, where he played both on offense and defense, and he completed his high school career at that position. In his senior year, his play gained him a place on the all-state high school team.

Former Freshman End

When he came to Harvard, Stargel started out playing end on the freshman team, but was switched to tackle midway during the season. One of the speediest Crimson linemen, he saw action both offensively and defensively during his first two years on the varsity, but has been used primarily on offense this year.

The play used Saturday, known to the varsity as the "Stargel Special," had Stargel lining up in his regular tackle position, pulling out, and then taking the ball from fullback Culver, after Culver had faked it to wingback John Ederer going by. Stargel steamed around end and would have gone all the way, except for a vicious sideline block by Washington's Ted Dunn on the Bears' 31.

Coach Lloyd Jordan said afterwards that the play was a regular part of the Crimson offense and would have been used against Columbia had Stargel been able to play.

* * *

The Utz family was very much in the game and showed well. Coach Irving Utz brought a spirited team, well-drilled but undermanned for a game with an opponent such as Harvard. Although the score was mounting against them, the Bears never gave up.

Jack and Jim Utz, the coach's two older sons, alternated at quarterback and showed poise in directing the attack, which penetrated the Harvard 20-yard line three times.

Bob Utz, the 132-pound halfback, played briefly in the second half and flashed speed, especially on a 44-yard pass from his brother Jim in the fourth period.

After the game, Coach Utz commented that he would like to ship 18-year-old Bob out for seasonning.

"Send him along," said Coach Jordan. "We'll take him."

* * *

STADIUM SIDELIGHTS: Myrtle, it turned out, was green. . . Coach Jordan cited linebackers Bob hardy and Ron Messer for their play, commenting that their performances "solved a few problems" for him.