Wesleyan Booters Nip Crimson Attack, 3 to 1

Three penalties and a superior passing attack teamed Saturday to hand the varsity soccer squad its second loss in three starts: Wesleyan defeated the Crimson booters, 3 to 1, on the Business School Field.

"I don't think I've ever seen three penalty kicks in a varsity game before," Coach Bruce Munro glumly commented afterwards. The Cardinals converted two of their penalty shots into scores in the whistle-marked match.

The Crimson got off to a fast start--perhaps aided by the visitor's bus trip--and kept the ball constantly in the Wesleyan half of the field. Finally, at 5:20 of the opening period, center forward Mauricio Toro sank a long shot from outside the penalty area.

Sobel Saves Goal

Jerry Trofymenko evened the score at 14:25 of the second quarter, and six minutes later a "hande" penalty gave the Cardinals a chance to sink their first free shot. The half ended 2 to 1.

A Crimson halfback hit goalie Pete Briggs, causing him to drop a save in the next period, but fullback Bob Sobel grasped the rolling ball on the goal mouth. Wesleyan missed the resulting "hands" penalty kick but the respite was short-lived. Briggs was called for charging a Cardinal forward at 20:30 of the same period and this time the visitors made the goal.

The Crimson attack faltered in the final quarter, and the game ended, 3 to 1.