Varsity Will Open With Ohio U. Tilt

Team Will Play 6 Home Games

Ohio University will open the varsity's eight game 1953 football schedule, Athletic Director Thomas D. Bolles announced yesterday. Springfield College and Washington university of St. Louis have been dropped.

Lloyd Jordan, in his fourth year of directing varsity football, will send the Crimson against five Ivy opponents and Colgate and Davidson in addition to Ohio.

Six Home Games

Harvard will face Columbia and Yale in away games, while the other six contests will be in the Stadium.

The full schedule is as follows: Oct. 3, Ohio; 10, Colgate; 17, at Columbia; 24, Dartmouth; 31, Davidson; November 7, Princeton; 14, Brown; 21, at Yale.

The Ohio game marks the first time a Crimson eleven has ever faced a team from the Buckeye state. The Bobcats, as the new opponents are nicknamed, are currently having one of their best seasons in several years.

Ohio Has Won Six

In eight games, Ohio has won six while losing only to Cincinnati and Miami of Ohio. Morris Harvey, Toledo, Western Reserve, Kent State, Western Michigan, and Bowling Green have all lost to Ohio.

Ohio University, the oldest institution of higher learning in the Northwest Territory, was founded in 1804. The partially state controlled school had an enrollment of 3,947 in the fall of 1951; 1,370 of the students, however, were women.

Davidson is on the schedule for the third time in Crimson history, while Colgate is on for the second time.

Yale recently announced an eight game 1953 schedule with one more contest still in the negotiable stage. The Elis will have five common opponents next fall when they also play Colgate, Dartmouth, Columbia, Princeton, and Brown.

The varsity defeated Washington, 48 to 0, in the team's first meeting this year. The Crimson also beat Springfield in the season's opener.

Next year is Harvard's 80th year of football; Ohio University is the 10th different team it has played in that time.