Varsity, Freshman Quintets Play Wesleyan Here Tonight

By Jere Broh-kahn

Undiscouraged by the varsity basketball team's 18-point opening game loss to Newport Officers' Candidate School, Coach Norm Shepard confidently expects to defeat Wesleyan at 8:30 p.m. tonight in the I.A.B. The Crimson trounced the Cardinals, 69 to 55, last year at Middletown, and figures to do as well this year, since the Wesleyan team has virtually the same squad back.

The varsity starting lineup will remain the same tonight as in the opener, with Bill Dennis and Harry Sacks at the forwards, Captain Dick Lionette playing center, and Paul Shaw and Roger Bulger at the guard positions. Shaw, Bulger, and Sacks are all sophomores, while Dennis is a junior. Wesleyan, however, will start a preponderantly senior team, with Steve Rack, Bill May, and Jim Teachout, all previous double letter-winners.

The Cardinals use a fast-breaking offense with Teachout setting up most of the plays. Rack, the best set shot on the squad, usually leads the scoring, while 6 foot 3 inch May, the tallest starter, can either rebound or shoot effectively from close in.

Coach Shepard has stressed rebounding and defense in his practices this week after the poor showing against Newport. He singled out Dennis particularly for his improved defensive play this year, while Bulger also is covering back well.

In a preliminary game at 6:30 p.m., the Yardlings will meet the Wesleyan freshmen. Freshman coach Floyd Wilson plans to use George Doyle and Warren Kantrowitz as guards, Bob Bowman at center, and Bruce Downey and Howard Adler at the forwards. This team averages about 6 feet 2 inches in height, but is somewhat slower than Wilson would prefer. He was quite pleased, however, with the squad's showing against the Crimson's jayvees last Saturday.