Griswold Chosen Member of New Ford Committee

Dean Griswold of the Law School, along with 14 other businessmen and educators from across the country, has been named by the Ford Foundation as director of a new organization called "The Fund for the Republic."

The group's aims, announced by Paul G. Hoffman, president of the foundation, are to work for the "elimination of restrictions on freedom of thought, inquiry, and expression in the United States."

The Ford Foundation hopes that such an independent group of distinguished men and women will develop "policies and procedures best adapted to protect these rights in the race of persistent international tension."

Graduate appointed

Appointed with Griswold was a second Harvard graduate, Richard Finnegan '35, consulting editor of the Chicago Sun-Times.

If a program is successfully outlined and organization set-up, the foundation will make a substantial grant to enable the group to carry its work over a period of years.

The Dean did not attend the first meeting of the directors held last week in New York. At the second, to be held soon, officers will be elected, a staff appointed, and a program outlined.

Among Griswold's fellow directors are Charles W. Cole, president of Amherst College, and George N. Shuster, president of Hunter College.