NCAA TV Committee Favors Continuance of '52 Program

Group Makes Favorable Report for January Meeting

The special ten-man NCAA television committee which met secretly in New York Tuesday was in virtual agreement that the present limited TV football program has proved satisfactory, the CRIMSON learned from reliable sources yesterday.

After a review of the past program and attendance surveys, the Committee decided to write a generally favorable report. This decision was made in spite of the fact that the surveys showed that college football attendance had been hurt by allowing one game to be nationally televised each Saturday.

It was generally agreed that any liberalization of present restrictions would only result in further harm to football attendance but that a complete ban of football television was completely out of the question.

Penn Plane Strong Dissent

The committee will submit its report to the NCAA body as a whole this January when the entire TV problem comes up for reconsideration. No recommendations are expected to accompany it, although the report itself is expected implicitly to support the present system with only minor modification.

Recently, the limited TV program drew strong criticism from several member schools of the NCAA. Francis Murray, Athletic Director at Pennsylvania, has already indicated he would submit a recommendation asking for a complete lifting of the TV ban.