Bunnies Sleep after Ending 2-Day Slapfest; Deny Record

Two tired undergraduates slapped their last slaps at 10 a.m. yesterday morning, after successfully completing their 48-hour marathon and pocketing a hard-earned $128. They were Oakleigh B. Thorne '54 and his roommate. Richard Mortimer '54, both of Leverett House and New York City.

Each had smacked the other in the face at ten second intervals since the grueling orgy began at 10 a.m. Tuesday morning. Witnesses, who included the nine Leverett backers of the wager crowded into the tiny living-room and kept the competitors and a stop-watch under constant surveillance.

From time to time, the contestants stuffed down sandwichs or swallowed No-Dox's, but not even the application of Absorbine. Jr. by their supporters brought intermission to the incessant slapping.

The provisions of the wager and the inspiration, itself, were worked out before the examination period, and the bettors waited two weeks before beginning the contest. The idea came from a bull session discussion of two Russian yogis who engaged in such a slug-fest 150 years ago, according to Robert Ripley The yogis allegedly had banged away for 72 hours without moving from their original position, the local rendition was performed in several different chairs and postures.

Hence the claim to a world record reported in Boston newspapers was denied strenuously by Mortimer and Thorne last night. They attributed the statement to an over-sealous publicity man and then began a new marathon, sleeping instead of slapping.