College Gives Feb. Degrees To 56 Seniors

277 Get Graduate Degrees; Low Enrollment, Fewer Vets Lead to Accelerations Drop

Only 56 men from the College received degrees at mid-year despite indications last year that the draft situation might lead large numbers to speed up their study programs.

The University also announced yesterday that 277 other degrees had been conferred on graduate students, making a total of 333 actual recipients.

Official indications were that lowered enrollment was mainly responsible for the drop in February graduations. Total enrollment now stands at about 4,300, compared with the College's post-war peak of 5,200. In addition, the number of veterans carrying accelerated programs has decreased tremendously in the last two years.

Eleven Get Honors

In the College, 55 men were awarded A.B. degrees, while only one collected a B.S. Eleven men graduated with honors, eight cum laude, two magna cum laude, and one summa cum laude.

Conferred as of this month the degrees will not actually be presented to all can dilates until Commencement in June.

The number of graduating seniors actually made little difference to other College men, residents of the Out-Houses, will sought entry to a House at the beginning of this term. Very few of the degree holders lived in House rooms.