Stevenson versus Kefauver Talked In H.L.U. Meeting

Advocates of Governor Adlai Stevenson of Illinois and Senator Estes Kefauver (D-Tenn.) for the Democratic presidential nomination disagreed as to the "practicality" of their respective candidates winning the party's nod come the July convention. Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, professor of History, extolled the political virtues of Stevenson, while Paul W. Glennon, professor of Law at Northeastern, spoke in favor of Kefauver at a Liberal Union forum last night.

Glennon stressed the "practical" point that Kefauver is definitely running, and "running well," while Stevenson has reiterated that he will seek re-election to the governorship of Illinois. Of the candidates that presently exist, he's well above the rest, Glennon said, while the Stevenson campaign is like a "closed corporation with a minimum of stockholders."

Truman Against Kefauver

Schlesinger, also being "practical," declared that Kefauver "has failed to win the favor of the President," and although it is "one of the unfairnesses of our election system" he doesn't stand much chance of sweeping the nominating convention bucking Truman.

If the President decides not to run, he will probably support Stevenson, Schlesinger stated. Saying that both men essentially back Truman's fair deal, he pointed to Kefauver's lack of administrative experience--a strong asset with Stevenson.

Questioned about the Illinois Governor's vote-getting capabilities in the South as compared to the appeal of the Tennessee Senator, Schlesinger said that the Southerners' dislike was a "personal vendetta directed at Truman and not personally transferred."