Faculty Votes Extra Course In Two Areas

Allows Gen. Ed. Committee Increase in Basic Offerings

Five elementary Humanities and Social Sciences courses may be given next year, according to a Faculty vote on Tuesday. A previous ruling had stated that "not less than two nor more than four" basic GE courses in the two areas could be given.

The faculty vote permits the Committee on General Education to offer the additional courses, but does not obligate it to do so. The two new courses are still is the process of preparation, but it is believed that a new one in Humanities will center about philosophic methods and will be taught by two members of the Philosophy department.

In raising the limit on the number of Humanities and Social Sciences courses that can be offered, the faculty believes that professors teaching them will be able to go on leave of absence without putting too great a burden on their fellows.

Also, new experimental courses can now be introduced without having to drop existing courses.

The Committee on General Education explains the new ruling as follows: "In these areas . . . four elementary courses must be maintained as a minimum to accommodate the students. However, in order to maintain over a period of years a minimum program of four courses in each area, the Committee feels that it is necessary to have available a fifth course in each area and in some years to offer five courses in the same area."

The four-course limit was set by the vote on General Education in 1945.