Schlesinger's Booklet Fires Denver Battle

Board of Education Delays Reinstatement of Pamphlet In Public School Libraries

Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, associate professor of History, yesterday termed "idiotic" the criteria being considered for the returning of his pamphlet. "What about Communism" to the shelves of the Denver Public School libraries.

The Denver Board of Education includes in its suggested standards for future placing of books previously removed, such statements as "If the author is not known to support the American Constitution, his book will not be considered." Schlesinger made his comment on his stipulation, although the full series of review criteria is not yet definite.

Schlesinger's pamphlet was among a series of some 40 Public Affairs Pamphlets which were removed from the stacks last fall following a "routine examination" of the school libraries.

Attempt for Reinstatement

Since then the Denver and Colorado Federation of Teachers has been trying to have the books reinstated and submitted recommendations two months ago to the Board of Education of Denver.

The Board has not acted on the case since them Herrick S. Roth, spokesman for the Federation, stated Wednesday that "they are trying to get out of the situation gracefully." He added that Schlesinger's pamphlet is a "fair explanation of the totalitarian state under Communism."