Young Composers Hear Own Works At Adams House

Music by six students was presented last night in the first of two programs of the Adams House Musical Society's Composers Festival.

The festival is the first of its kind to be held in Cambridge.

Sixty pieces were submitted by 18 composers, and a committee made up of members of the Society and members of the Music Department narrowed the field down to 15 pieces by 12 composers. Last night's concert was devoted generally to chamber and orchestral works, while next Sunday night's presentation will feature choral and more chamber works.

The program included works by John H. Davison 1G, Joel Mandelbaum '53, Yehudi Wyner 1G, Leland H. Proctor (Special Student), Victor Yellin 2G, and Robert W. Moevs 1G.

Music on the program was briefly discussed by Aaron Copland, Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry, Robert E. Middleton, instructor in Music, and Allen D. Sapp, instructor in Music. Copland termed the festival "just what the composer needs. There is no better way to learn what you put into a piece than to learn what others are geting out of it," he said.

Next Sunday's program, presenting the last nine of the compositions, will be at 8:30 p.m. in the Adams House dining hall.