Varsity, '54 Tennis Squads Blank Engineers Twice, 9-0

Barnaby Again Holds First 3 Doubles Pairs In 2nd Consecutive Varsity Shutout Win

Both the varsity and freshman tennis teams remained undefeated in local competition yesterday by scoring identical 9 to 0 shutouts over two M.I.T. teams.

The varsity, in its second straight whitewash victory, dropped only one set to the Tech third doubles team at Soldiers Field, while the Yardlings, playing at the Engineers' courts, swept through their opposition in 18 straight sets.

Varsity coach Jack Barnaby did not use his first three doubles pairs for the second match in a row, after the Crimson had rung up a 6 to 0 lead in the singles. Five men on the team won their second straight singles match with Art French at number three the only new victor. The other winners in order from first were Captain Charlie Ufford, John Rash, Dave Watts, Gene Mann, and Don Rossart.

Herb Stone and Terry King, the regular number four doubles combination, playing first won their match easily, while Donn Spencer and Frank Goodman took their second home match in the two spot. Paul Trinchier and Bill Harrington lost the only set of the day for the Crimson, but rallied to win, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3.

For the freshmen. Alex Haegler at one and Bob Crouch at five won their first matches this spring. Four others won their second match of the year; in order they were Geoff Ball, Bill Wister, Mike Levinson, and Dan Mayers. Several alternate doubles teams also played with Ball and Crouch winning at one. Mayers and Dave Berndt at two, and Doug Man chester and Wyman Emery at three.

Singles--Ufford (H) defeated Mar, 6-2, 6-3. Rauh (H) defeated Haegler, 6-2, 6-0; French (H) defeated Melavas, 6-4, 6-2; Watts (H)defeated Backe, 6-2, 6-2; Mann (H) defeated Reynolds. 6-4, 6-0; Bossart (H) defeated Happenfeld, 6-1, 6-0.

Doubles Stone and King (H) defeated Haegler and Balz, 6-1, 6-1; Spencer and Goodman (H) defeated Mar and Melavas. 7-5, 6-1; Trinchieri and Harrington (H) defeated Beckett and Reynolds, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3.