NAACP Hits Nat'l Student Meeting; Warns Delegates

Further condemnation of the reputedly "leftist" National Student Conference yesterday directly involved Ulysses K. Shelton '53, delegate representing students of four local colleges.

Shelton is vice-president of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of colored PPeople, whose national headquarters issued a directive against the conference scheduled for this weekend in Wisconsin. Shelton was "advised" to drop his association as delegate.

Shelton could not be reached for comment last night.

The directive stated 'this conference is being sponsored by organizations whose aims and objectives are totally alien to the program of the Association and the furtherance of civil liberties in general."

Violate Constitution

The NAACP further stated that members who affiliate with this organization have done so in violation of the Association's constitution. This prohibits use of the name of the organization in any manner whatsoever without national permission.

The call to the Conference listed persons who claimed NAACP afuliation for "identification" purposes. According to the Association's directive, the statement that the organizations are listed for purposes of identification is a "subterfuge by which organizations are unwillingly drawn into sponsorship of the meetings."