Non-Residents Get Apley For Tutorial

Burr Tutor Posts Go To McLain, Whitlock

In step with the University's revised tutorial plans Apley's first three floors will be converted to non-resident tutorial offices Provost Buck announced yesterday.

Two new Allston Burr Senior Tutors have also been appointed, one of them for the Commuters bringing the number of Senior Tutors to six. The new men are William Harold McLain, assistant professor of German resident tutor of Dunster House and Charles preston Whitlock, Associate Director of the Bureau of study Counsel and Apley tutor.

Leighton In Charge

University Hall had already announced two months ago that Apley would not be used as a dormitory next year. Although the details here not been worked out the first three floors will comprise an educational Center at which Commuters can receive tutorials as prescribed under the new rules. Dean Leighton will be in charge of the transformation.

There will be no change the Provost announced in the function of Dudley as a Commuters Center.

Two Tutors to be Appointed

With the appointment of McLain and Whitlock only Leverett and Lowell lack Senior Tutors. These last two men will be selected at the Overseers meeting in June. The function of the Senior Tutor will be twofold. He will act as a Dean in the House and he will co-ordinate tutorial for sophomores with the respective departments. Under the new plan undergraduates will preferably receive tutorial from tutors in their House.

Whitlock, who graduated from Rutgers in 1941 and received his M.A. in English in 1947, will continue as Associate Director of the Bureau of Study Counsel. Both he and McLain are members of the Board of Freshmen Advisors.

McLain is on leave of absence in Germany writing a book on 19th Century German Literature. A graduate of Western Reserve '39 he received a Ph.D. at Wisconsin in 1943 and in 1943 and has been at the University since 1946.