Purple Rolls Over Crimson Nine for Easy 13 to 3 Win

WORCESTER, May 24--Bob Ward had his control today; too much so, in fact. The Crimson's Number One pitcher was putting the ball over the plate, but the Holy Cross batters were knocking it right out again. Sloppy Harvard fielding added to the carnage, and the result was a 13 to 3 Holy Cross victory on Fitton Field here.

The Cross sewed up this victory--its seventy-first over Harvard since 1900--with early scoring bursts which never stopped. Ward left for a seventh-inning pinch-hitter with the score 6 to 0 against him. The Crusaders promptly pummelled his successor, John Arnold, for six more runs in the bottom of the seventh before Rufe Webb could put out the side.

Fighting to make up for the 15-inning, 2 to 1 loss it sustained at Dartmouth on Thursday, the Purple held the Crimson scoreless until the last inning. Only a double by first baseman Russ Johnson and an infield hit by Ward marred the fine pitching performance of Jim O'Neill until the ninth.

Centerfielder Bob Smith started the Crimson's rally with a single. Ray Mae-saka followed with another one-baser, and when Chuck Wade pinch-hit another single, the visitors had the bases loaded.

Walt Greeley walked, forcing in Smith, and breaking the shutout. Ralph Robinson, the team's leading hitter, then lashed a solid drive to right center which scored Maesaka and Wade, and closed out the Crimson's run production.