Winthrop Students Battles With University Over Bad Furniture

War has been declared on part of the University Administration by one Winthrop House student, an exchange of letters proved Tuesday. So far it's been a cold war, with neither side egging the other on too much. The letters, reprinted below, explain the situation.

Mr. Nussbaum:

The condition of your rocking chair and divan has been brought to my attention by our Caretaking people. These two items of furniture, in our opinion, constitute a hazard for maids.

I am afraid I must ask you to remove them. I hope you will comply with this request immediately so that we can drop the matter.

A.D. Trottenberg

Operating Manager

Houses and College Dormitories.

Dear Mr. Trottenberg:

I wish to put your mind at rest on the matter of my "rocking chair and divan" (letter of 21 May). I must express my surprise when your caretaking people considered them "a hazard to maids." You see they came into my possession this fall in virtually their present condition and have been around the University eight or ten years. I can testify that they have seen almost daily service this year for "rocking and diving," and neither a fatality or other hazard-caused casualty has resulted. This you see, is my principal amazement: if my friends and I have survived so much use of the furniture, how can maids who rarely rock or dive be the ones for whom there now exists a hazard? Has it something to do with Spring?

If you wish to satisfy yourself personally on this matter, you may come down here Monday at five p.m. (27 May) and rock and dive to your heart's content. Please, however, do not send a deputy who will only say that he is acting under your orders and put on a pained expression Pained expressions take all the fun out of things, especially when not terribly sincere. And, after all, why should your deputies have all the fun, rocking and diving, while you slave away at your desk over letters like this? It may be possible for me to invite some friends and we can have a party (refreshments rocking diving, and all).

If however your administrative duties do not permit such festivities. I shall prevent any untoward disaster from the furniture I have posted the articles so offensive to the Caretaking people with this notice. Maids a hazard, approach with caution. Further in view of the objecting of the Caretaking people to the low bottoms of the articles. I have posted them as follows. "MAIDS, do not crawl under, low clearance." Other matters prevent me from buying, selling or conveying furniture at this time. I shall he free in two weeks to examine the market for used furniture so that I shall not be deprived of any value in disposing of the property.

The interest of your office in the well being of the maids has done much to overcome my previous opinion of impersonal administration of the University. Few executives these days care about employees. America needs more like you. Jay Nussbaum '52