Long-dead Democratic Club Revives; Seeks H.L.U., Law School Support

That periodic visitor to the local political scene, the Democratic Club, made another appearance at the University this week and expects official recognition within the next few days.

According to William J. Nazzarro '54, the group, which will be called the Harvard Young Democrats Club, has already satisfied the requirements for a University charter and now awaits Students Council approval.

Two faculty members have agreed to sponsor the organization: Samuel H. Beer, associate professor of Government, and Arthur A. Maass, assistant professor of Government. Beer was one of the sponsors of the now defunct Democratic Club, which was organized in September, 1950.

Nazzarro said that, "While we agree with most of the Liberal Union policies, we think it is difficult for such an organization to be really effective, since it has no official ties with the party." He added, however, that the new group expects cooperation from both the Law School Democrats and the H.L.U.

"Balances Political Scene"

Meanwhile, in a statement issued last night, Frank A. Rhuland, Jr. '54, political action chairman of the H.L.U., said: "The Harvard Liberal Union welcomes the new Democratic Club to Harvard. We feel that this balances the University political scene. In the past we have been accused of being a front for the Democrats. The emergence of this new club proves more conclusively than any statement of ours that this is not so. We will now be able to play our role as a haven for the independent voter and a meeting place for the liberals of both parties even more effectively than in the past."

Although there are less than 20 members in the Democrats Club at present. Nazzarro commented that he expects at least 50 when an organizational meeting is held Tuesday night in Lamont.