Net Team Meets Lions Today; Eph Club Beaten, 6-3

By Richard A. Burgheim

Jack Barnaby's varsity tennis team will take on comparatively weak Columbia at 2:30 p.m. today on the Soldiers Field courts, after gaining its sixth consecutive win against a tough Williams club, 6 to 3, yesterday.

According to last spring's varsity and freshman showing, the Lions won't be particularly tough, and Barnaby may be able to give his younger players some experience in the doubles competition, something he couldn't do against the Ephs yesterday.

In the first singles, Williams ace, Dick Squires, got even for his winter squash losses by defeating Captain Charlie Ufford, 6-4, 6-3. The best match of the afternoon saw sophomore John Rauh nip Soapy Symington, 2-6, 6-1, 10-8, in the second singles. The former Yardling captain's steady ground strokes won him the grueling third set on an 18th game service break.

Hank Norton edged Crimson number three man Art French in three sets, but Gene Mann, Dave Watts, and Don Roseart Swept the remaining singles matches for the varsity.

Ufford and Bill Goodman clinched the match as they had done against Amherst Wednesday, by whipping Squires and Symington in a three-set first doubles match. Rauh and Bossart easily won the third doubles after French and Watts had lost to Brownell and Norton.

In another home net match this afternoon, the Yardlings will take on a favored Harvard Grads group. The freshmen will again be without the services of captain and number one man Alex Haegler, who has the measles.