Band to Feature Fund Drive Show Televised Sunday

For the first time in its history, the Harvard Band will grace a non-football telecast come this Sunday at 10 a.m.

Associate Dean Watson, heartened by the fact that the bandsmen will be appearing on a charity broadcast to raise money for the Jimmy Fund, has authorized the group's appearance over both Boston stations.

University rules, which have prevented past Band TV appearances, state that no organization or person shall appear on any commercially sponsored program which uses the name of Harvard for advertising purposes. But Sunday's telecast, over both Boston channels from 8 to 11 a.m., is purely a benefit proposition.

The University band, according to manager Dana M. Hastings '53, will have only 20 minutes for its performance.

"But that will give us a chance for at least four or five numbers," Hastings said last night, adding that Peter Strauss '53 would lead, since regular conductor Malcolm H. Holmes '28 will not be present.

Such featured actors as George Jessell and local singers, dancers and comedians will fill out the rest of the program, but the band will break in twice.

The first time it will appear as it escorts a group of Boston Little Leaguers and Jimmy Fund workers from the State Armory to broadcast headquarters at the Statler Hotel, a distance of some 200 yards. A few minutes later, it will give an uninterrupted short concert.

The full band of 160 men will appear on the show, made necessary because collections for the Jimmy Fund are running approximately 23 percent behind schedule for the year.

According to Fund drive officials, who contacted the Band, it is hoped that the telecast will raise the necessary cash to make up this year's quota, via pledges phoned in during the three hour long sessions. Both WBZ and WNAC will carry the show.