Pacifist Official States Students' Arrest Common

The case of Edward A. French '54, conscientious objector arrested for draft-dodging, is "a fairly common occurrence," an official of the Fellowship of Reconciliation said last night. Robert A. Lyon, Executive Secretary of the Massachusetts Fellowship group, said that many pacifists, some in this area, face arrest, especially "if their boards are prejudiced against them."

Commenting on French's arrest, Lyon said it "is dramatic evidence of the inadequacy of the Selective Service Law as it applies to conscientious objectors. In fairness to the lawmakers, it should be said that there is no real solution for the religious pacifist short of the abolition of war and conscription per se."

"Edward French's contribution toward this goal," Lyon said, "has been a small step but one that the United Nations itself has not been able to accomplish--he has reduced the armed forces of the world by one man. The Fellowship of Reconciliation, along with most major denominations, fully supports Mr. French in the stand he has taken."