Quintet Comes from Behind, Tops B.C. in Overtime, 73-70

By Jere Broh-kahn

Dick Manning and Bill Dennis scored in the late moments last night to lead the varsity basketball team out of its seven-game losing streak with an upset 73 to 70 overtime victory over Boston College. Dennis made two field goals and Manning netted three out of four foul shot attempts in the five-minute extra period after the Crimson came from behind to tie the game, 63-all, in the regulation time.

The victory was really scored by the whole team, however. Ten men played for the Crimson, with every one coming through with at least one point at a crucial time. Harry Sacks was the only man to play the whole game for the varsity, and he wound up as high point man with 20 markers.

See-saw Game

The lead switched hands at each of the three ten-minute marks to indicate the closeness of the game throughout. It took the Crimson six minutes to score its first field goal in the game and B.C. led at the end of the first quarter, 15 to 12.

Roger Bulger and Paul Shaw scored three field goals apiece in the next period to give the varsity a 35 to 34 half-time margin. Dick Lionette also rebounded excellently in the first half.

The Eagles went out in front again after three minutes of the third quarter, paced by Tony Daukas and John Silk who eventually scored 22 and 21 points respectively for the losers. B.C. led, 57 to 49, at the close of the quarter and held a nine-point lead soon after.

After Dennis dropped in two jump shots, Manning netted a foul shot with three minutes to play, tying the game, 66-all. B.C. froze the ball until the last 12 seconds and then missed three chances for the winning basket before time ran out.

The varsity's overall record is now three victories and eight losses, including its 63 to 59 loss to Cornell last Friday.

Freshmen Undefeated

The Yardlings meanwhile remained undefeated after two weekend victories over local freshman teams. Tufts fell, 77 to 60, on Saturday, while B.C. lost its second game to the Crimson freshmen this year, 72 to 63, last night.