Council Passes Charities Slate Without Salzburg

PBH, Winant, on List Which Meets Rules For '53 Charities

The Student Council, for the first time in five years, approved a Combined Charities list which does not include the Salzburg Seminar. The Council passed on a list submitted by the Combined Charities Committee, which voted last Thursday to omit Salzburg from the student organizations.

In dropping Salzburg, the Council based its decision on four criteria it set up for the charities. The Council decided all organizations should meet the following specifications:

1) it must be basically oriented toward student need, including in many cases both participation in the activities and receipt of the benefits.

2) it must be non-sectarian.

3) it must have an administrative cost of less than 10 per cent.

4) it must depend to a large degree on student support.

Although these criteria can occasionally be modified, the Council felt that Salzburg did not adhere closely enough to warrant a place on the Charities list.

No Limit on Number

Though there is no fixed limit to the number of organizations which can be included on the Council list, a practical consideration has in the past set a maximum of ten to 15 groups. This year, five charities were approved by the Council. These five are Phillips Brooks House, American Friends Service Committee, World University Scholarships, and the National Scholarship Service and Fund for Negro Students.

Added this year by the Charities Committee is the Winant Volunteers, a group of American students who work in London settlement houses during the summer. There will be an open spot on the Charities card for individual donator's preferences.

The Salzburg Seminar, which was begun in 1947 and previously supported by the Council every year, receives over half its money from the Ford, Commonwealth, and other Foundations. The Student Council donation last year from University contributions was about $900.

The entire question of selecting which charities to include on the donation list will be discussed Wednesday evening at 7:30 p.m. on WHRB's Student Council on the Air." Kirby von Kessler '54 and Robert Terry '54, co-chairmen of the Charities Committee, will speak.