REASON FOR DROPPING SALZBURG

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The decision of the Combined Charities Committee and its subsequent ratification by the Student Council depended solely upon consideration of Salzburg Seminar as a charity, disregarding any sentimental connections with Harvard. Absolutely no criticism of Salzburg is implied. The invaluable role it plays in the European intellectual community is well-known and recognised, hence the lack of necessity of formalized Committee endorsement. The Committee has nothing but highest praise for Salzburg's continuing efforts toward improvement of cultural understanding between Europe and the United States. The Harvard student community is well aware of its work, and the Seminar can therefore stand alone without Committee recommendation.

The relationship with the Student Council remains unchanged despite the Committee's decision. Harvard undergraduates, beginning next year, will no longer take part in Salzburg's summer sessions. Undergraduate relations will be reduced to two Student Council representatives on Salzburg's Board of Directors.

Criteria for selection of charities were published in the CRIMSON of 20 October. Salzburg fails to qualify because: 1) it is not primarily dependent upon student-donated funds for operating expenses. 2) There is distinct question as to whether or not it is actually oriented towards vital student needs.

Members of the Committee, in considering Salzburg, sought out the opinions of mature and responsible members of the Harvard community who have recently taken part in Seminar sessions. Students are reminded of their opportunity to write-in Salzburg as recipient of their contribution. Kirby L. C. von Kessler '54   Robert C. Terry, Jr. '54