Student Placement Services Expand, Aid Military Plans

After four years of generalized study for a liberal arts degree, graduates often find they lack specific knowledge about the career they have chosen. In hope of ameliorating this deficiency, the University set up the Office of Student Placement in 1945.

Eight years after its establishment in Weld Hall, the Placement Office has grown in size and scope of its activities. In now occupies the whole first floor of 54 Dunster St. and has contact with over half the University's students in some way.

In the early days, the office confined itself to counseling. Gradually, auxiliary programs have been added to its student services. These include a nation wide network of Alumni Advisors, a greatly expanded Vocational Library, direct interviews with corporations desiring employees, Career Conferences on varied professions, and, of special interest to army bound seniors, an advisory service on military commitments.

These programs are run by Director John W. Teele '27, aided by Assistant Director Louis L. Newby and Placement Officer Wendell L. French.

Emphasize the Military

Under Newby, the vocational library program is being expanded and reorganized. A great deal of emphasis is being placed this year upon helping students facing military service after graduation.

Newby explained that companies want qualified men, regardless of their military status. He says, "Firms will often give an induction-bound graduate a job until he is called in. After his military service, his experience will help him fit smoothly into the organization upon his return."

A Gradual Change

Actual job placement, one of the major services offered, has undergone a gradual change since its inauguration. "Each year, more and more undergraduates are attracted to the program," Newby said. Of 845 registrants in 1952-53 251 were undergraduates or graduates, although the plan was originally intended for seniors.

He said, "Every spring, seniors rush to get aid for their post-college planning. Lack of time too often causes hasty decisions, and unsatisfactory results both for us and the student.

"If a man would come in here in his sophomore or junior year, he could spend more time on his decision. He could also arrange for summer work, an invaluable aid in judging aptness for a vocation."

The placement office arranges company interviews, advises students on military problems, and gives out information on scholarships, fellowships, and graduate school opportunities.

Career Conferences

Service is not, however, confined to registrants. Over 600 interviews with Alumni Advisors throughout the country have been arranged. Newby says that because a student sees a wider range of careers than he ordinarily would, he is liable to find a more suitable career than his original choice.

Most of these interviews were scheduled for the Christmas and spring vacations, in the area of the students' homes.

In the spring term, the Career Conferences attracted over 1200 students, who heard 30 experts in nine general professions offer aid in orientation toward career problems.

Long range plans of the office include group counseling, introduction of the "Strong Interest Test," and follow-up studies of the Class of 1952 to provide graduate case books for use in student counseling.