Yale Junior Varsity Football Team Stops Late Crimson Threat to Win

By Jack Rosenthal

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Nov. 20--Yale's once-beaten junior varsity struck twice, once in the first period, once in the third, to whip the Crimson JVs, 12 to 7, and avenge last year's loss to Harvard. The game was played today on the Dewitt Cuyler Field.

The Elis scored first late in the opening period, on a 63-yard drive, bolstered by three complete passes thrown by Yale quarterback John O'Bryan. Halfback Elisworth Morgan bulled through center from the three to score. Rog Fleming missed the try for point.

The teams battled on even terms during the second period; neither penetrated the other's 30-yard line. But early in the third quarter, guard Bruce Lundsfort blocked a punt by Crimson quarterback "Bing" Crosby on the Harvard 25. Lundsford recovered on the two, and quarterback Jim Valles went over on the next play. A passing attempt for the point failed.

George Nager raced 50 yards for the sole Crimson score. With seven minutes left in the final quarter, Nager took a handoff from Crosby, broke for the left sideline, and streaked half the length of the field to score. Crosby kicked the extra point.

JV Surge Falls

The JVs threatened once more, with little over two minutes remaining in the game. They took possession of the ball on their own 45, and drove to the Yale 30, with a 12-yard run by Nager highlighting the attack. A pass interception by Yale's John Logan, however, ended the assault.

Coach Norm Shopard's eleven gained possession once again, with seconds remaining, but two desperate long passes fell incomplete.

The loss ends the Harvard season at one win three losses, and one tie. The team opened the year with a 31 to 0 triumph over Nichols Academy, but lost, 19 to 6, to Dean Academy, and 14 to 6 to Princeton. The team tied Dartmouth, 6 to 6.

Last year, the eleven thumped Yale, 13 to 7.

Summary: Harvard: Amory, le; Bediker, lt; Caimi, lg; Samuels, c; Kahrl, rg; Giampi, rt; Bregman, re; Crohore, qb; Schereschewsky, hb; Henry, hb; Oohmler, fb. Yale: Logan, le; Suhulman, lt; Beers, lg; Darmstraeder, rg; Heatherington, rt; Stearas, re; O'Bryan, qb; Morgan, hb; Hansk, hb; Fleming, fb.

Harvard substitutions: Stein, Marken, Pfahl, Tomploton, Ticknor, Quartarone, Summers, Fitzglhbons, Crosby, Halporn, Nager, Donaghy.

Yale substitutions: Haskins, Simonds, Catlin, Jackson, Hyde, Steadman, Kollam, Nork, Lovejoy, Pratt, Valles, Peneston, Hoover, Guzeman, Williams