Clasby Recipient Of Coveted Lowe Memorial Trophy

Richard J. Clasby '54, of the Varsity Club and Natick, Mass., was unanimously chosen as New England's outstanding football player for the 1953 season by the Boston Gridiron Club yesterday.

Clasby will receive the George Bulger Lowe Trophy, given each year to the area's top player, at the Gridiron Club's annual dinner, Dec. 2 at the Hotel Kenmore, Nils Nelson, head of the selection committee, announced.

Nelson said his group had covered some 70 New England college football games this fall seeking candidates for the award.

The committee selected the varsity's triple-threat halfback for leading the Crimson to its best season since 1946. The varsity won six games and lost two, and finished second in the Ivy league with a three won, two lost record this fall.

Also considered in the committee's choice was Clasby's feat of being the first three-letter winner at the University since World War Two.

The Crimson halfback is also a wing on the hockey team and catches for the varsity baseball squad.

Clasby was surprised and thrilled by the greatest of the nine awards he has received while at the University. He commented, "This is the trophy every New England athlete hopes he will receive."