Divinity School Tuition To Increase Next Year

Tuition will go up at the Divinity School next year in keeping with the School's intended expansion program, acting Dean George H. Williams announced last night.

"It's pretty obvious that we need a tuition increase here," Williams said last night. "We had hoped to be able to raise it this year, but we couldn't."

"I can't say exactly what the new figure will be, because we're in a transition stage right now and the exact amount will be left up to the new Dean. But it's easy to see that we need a tuition increase if the school is going to have the expanded faculty that is planned," Williams said. The current tuition is only $150.

Divinity School Goes in Red

The Divinity School went $32,229.71 in the red for the fiscal year ending this June. All of this deficit was absorbed by the University. The School had also gone heavily into debt the previous year.

Earlier this fall the Corporation decided to extend the deadline of the Divinity School's fund drive "for a reasonable interim period past 1954." Previously, January 1954 had been set as the date by which the drive had to raise two million dollars if it is to receive a half million Corporation grant.

Although only about $800,000 has been raised to date, President Pusey called the response "significant enough" to warrant the Corporation's extension.

Must Be Self-Supporting

Once built up, however, the Divinity School, according to Pusey, will have to support itself financially. The tuition increase is the first step in that direction.