Tighter Ivy League Would Extend To 5 Sports; Dodds' Vote Dubious

Princeton's President Seen Satisfied With Current Situation

Princeton's President Harold Dodds indicated yesterday that he is not entirely in favor of the proposed tighter Ivy League.

Although he withhold comments on specific questions, Dodds made the following statement:

"When the Ivy group was formed it was for the definite purpose of not compelling the members to play within themselves but to establish certain conditions to assure sportsmanship and amateurism. It was named the Ivy group and not the Ivy League in an attempt to avoid the pressures of championships and percentage ratings."

Yale officials were unavailable for comment last night. On Tuesday, President Pusey, citing experience gained at Lawrence College, said he was "predisposed in favor" of a strong Ivy League.

May Go With Majority

Even if Dodds is not in favor of the proposal, observers believe he may go along with it if the majority of other presidents give their endorsements. This happened in 1952. Although Dodds was personally in favor of spring practice, he voted with the other Ivy administrators for the ban.

At that time five of the eight Ivy colleges, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown and Columbia wanted the termination of spring practice.

The Princeton athletic director, however, backed the proposal yesterday. R. Kenneth Fairman termed the formation of a stronger Ivy group a "logical step and a much to be desired objective. I believe the conditions and requirements of such an Ivy league arrangement can best be fulfilled by maximum intra-group competition."

Columbia's athletic director Ralph Furey said he was speaking for the university in saying he was "thoroughly in favor of the Ivy agreement in many sports besides football."