Brown Beats Varsity Five, 67-51 As Sacks Fights, Nets 29 Points

PROVIDENCE, Dec. 12--Brown's fast-breaking Bruins christened their entrance into the Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League by whipping the varsity quintet, 62 to 51, at Marvel Gymnasium here Saturday night.

A floor fight, with about 20 spectators participating, highlighted the third quarter of the contest, the first league game for the Crimson.

The Bruins took advantage of an ineffectual Crimson defense, sped to a 37-to-24 halftime lead, and held, despite a weak last-half varsity surge.

Plays Trade Punches

Loose officiating in the third quarter prompted the tussle, between the Crimson's Harry Sacks, and Brown forward Ed Tooley. The two exchanged punches under the boards, and both benches emptied when officials couldn't separate the players.

Brown fans then joined in the scuffle, but the court was soon cleared, and the game resumed "with no hard feelings afterward," according to Crimson Captain Ed Krinsky.

Captain Low Murgo and substitute guard Ed Kincade were the big guns in the victory, third straight for Brown, just admitted to the EIBL. Murgo netted 21 points and Kincade 18. Sacks took individual scoring honors with 29.

The Bruins held a 17 to 5 first quarter lead before the varsity could begin to hit on shots, and by the end of the period, the hosts still held a 19 to 13 advantage. Weak varsity defense allowed Brown to boost this lead by half-time. Only by the third quarter did the Crimson settle down.

In the preliminary game, the Yardlings edged the Bruin cubs in overtime, 67-66. Brown had tied the game, 62-62, at the end of the regulation time, but the Yardlings grabbed the lead with about 40 seconds of the overtime left. They froze the ball for the remainder of the period to clinch the win.