Pusey's Recall By Committee Still in Doubt

There is little chance that the Massachusetts Communism Commitee will again ask President Pusey to testify on the problem of communism in American colleges.

"No decision has been reached as to when or whether Pusey will be invited to discuss the question further," said State Representative Mrs. Mary Newman, a member of the committee.

Pusey and Dean William J. Kenealy of the Boston College Law School had conferences with the seven-man committee on November 12. Presidents Margaret Clapp of Wellesley, James R. Killian of M.I.T., and Harold Case of Boston University talked to the group a week later.

Established "to study and investigate communism and subversive activities in the Commonwealth," the committee will aid the General Court in enacting any necessary remedial legislation.

No subpoenas were sent to college presidents: they were invited by letter to speak with the bi-partisan group. In conferences, each of approximately one hour, the college delegates were queried on the problem of communism in colleges as they saw it, what the colleges were doing about it, and what the law should do.

Testimoney from these voluntary hearings will not be released to the public. Committee members said they were trying to conduct a quiet, orderly investigation of educational opinion, free from all emotion.

"We hope to enlighten the general public as to the danger of communism and subversion, and evaluate what and whether law can help," Mrs. Newman added.