Crimson Key Plans Poll on May Weekend

To Seek Students' Criticisms And Plans for Improvement; Will Be Called 'All-College'

Crimson Key officials, in response to recent criticism, yesterday agreed to conduct a poll to obtain student suggestions for the annual Key weekend.

The weekend, scheduled for May 1 and 2, will be called "All College Weekend" instead of "Regatta Weekend," Key president D. Terry Coles '54, announced yesterday. "The weekend this year includes all classes, and no one event will be emphasized," he said.

In a joint statement, Lawrence S. Cohen '54 and Charles Gordon '54, cochairman of the weekend, said last night, "Because of recent criticism, we are going to conduct a poll to obtain constructive suggestions about the kind of a weekend the students want. Freshmen won't be included in the poll, because they have nothing to base their criticism on, but they will be full participants in the weekend. We expect to start the poll through the House Committees within two weeks."

Cohen and Gordon replace James O. Robertson '54, who resigned the chairmanship recently. In his letter of resignation, Robertson said he quit the post because, "I see absolutely no reason for the weekend. Harvard men need not have a weekend foisted upon them to have a good time. It is an insult to the individual to think this is necessary."

Coles said freshmen will have members on the weekend policy committee for the first time. Four Union Committee representatives will sit with leaders from other campus organizations affected by the weekend, to help the Key iron out the problems it must face in planning the affair.