Swimmers Top Army, 64-20, For 5th Consecutive Victory

By Ronald P. Kriss

The Black Knights of the Hudson returned yesterday to their West Point jousting grounds, bellies full of chlorinated water. A week ago they met invincible Yale, powerhouse of the Eastern Swimming League, and were crushed 63 to 21. Saturday they came to the Indoor Athletic Building and the Crimson swimmers--second best in the East--went one better to submerge them 64 to 20.

It was the fifth straight victory for Coach Hal Ulen's squad--the only varsity team that remains undefeated.

Meanwhile, Bill Brooks' freshmen continued to terrorize the East prep schools, defeating Exeter 41 to 34 Saturday. It was the sixth straight win for the Yardlings.

Nearly every one of the events in the varsity contest were close, but the Cadets were edged out repeatedly for first and second places. They tallied only one first and three seconds, and the final result was stupendously one-sided.

Pete Wittereid, Army's only first-place winner, had to clip more than a second off the Military Academy's record to edge Don Mulvey in the 200-yard back-stroke. Wittereid's time was 2:13.3 minutes.

The Crimson won both relay races, and set a new Harvard record in one of them. Mulvey, Ken Emerson, and Captain Ron Huebsch scored a two-length victory in the 300-yard medley relay in 2:55 minutes. The old record, set against Dartmouth in 1951, was 2:56 minutes.

In the 400-yard freestyle relay. Bill Travis, Jim Jones, and Marv Sandler widened John McNamara's lead to give the Crimson a comfortable win in 3:40.1 minutes.

A second Harvard record fell in the 150-yard individual medley, the most exciting event of the meet. Charlie Egan, a body length behind and in last place as he went into the final 50-yard sprint, overtook his opponents and won by half a length. His time of 1:38.7 eclipses by one-tenth of a second the record formerly held by Sandler and himself.

In the 440-yard freestyle, Egan also came up fast in the closing laps, but he couldn't overtake team-mate Dick Fouquet, who won in 5:09 minutes.

Herberg twice edged out Cadet freestyle ace Dave Scott for a double victory. The Crimson's leading sprinter took the 220-yard free-style in 2:14.5 minutes, and the 100 in 52.6 seconds. In the 50-yard sprints, McNamara won in 23.8 seconds, and team-mate Jim Buffington finished second.

Ralph Zani and Ken Emerson wound up one-two in a close 200-yard breaststroke, while in the high dive, Pete Dillingham's 100.7 points were more than enough to win