Hearty Breakfasts Add Up to Weight Loss

Short-cut breakfasts put on pounds and hearty breakfasts take them off. Eat and reduce the easy way.

No advertisement this, but the result of nearly three years of intensive research by the Department of Nutrition at the School of Public Health.

Under the direction of Dr. Jean Meyer, assistant professor of Nutrition, a group of professors and students have shot rats, mice, and humans full of sugar, examined the diets of hundreds, and come up with several startling conclusions about the best way to keep weight down and eventually reduce.

Their reasoning runs like this. Eat a skimpy breakfast and you're starved by 11 a.m. Dash out for a quickie--coffee and rolls--then back again for a hearty lunch at 12:30 p.m.

In the process you have probably eaten more energy-giving, fat-producing foods than with a hearty breakfast.

For the hearty breakfast--eggs, bacon, milk, and coffee--on the other hand, tides you over this 11 a.m. alump, keeps the sugar content high, explain the experts, and doesn't fill the system with weight-adding carbohydrates.

When you don't feel hungry, you don't eat. Dr. Meyer and his assistants apply this bit of wisdom to their protein breakfast, which prevents one from feeling hungry longer than does the light, carbohydrate breakfast.

What Dr. Meyer has done is add to this understanding of proteins at breakfast time, the reasons why they cut weight.