Fischelis Returns From Germany, Reports Enthusiasm Over Conant

Just back from Germany, Robert L. Fischelis '49, director of Phillips Brooks House, reports considerable enthusiasm among German people to President Conant's appointment as High Commissioner. Fischelis was in Germany on a month's leave of absence when the Eisenhower choice was announced.

Enthusiasm for the choice is greatest among Germans acquainted with Conant's name, especially people at the universities, Fischelis reports. Some Germans in responsible positions, whom Fischelis termed "provincial," were inclined to question the qualifications of a mere professor for such a large post.

Newspapers have been reserved in their comments. There has been no editorial criticism, yet lack of knowledge on the part of the press has caused incomplete coverage of Conant's record.

Biggest story in the news was ex-High Commissioner John J. McCloy's meeting with his successor at Cambridge. McCloy is highly respected in Germany and his endorsement of Conant preceding the first Godkin Lecture increased German favor for the appointment. Newspapers also played up the fact Conant had studied in Germany at one time.

East Germans in general seemed to know more about the Harvard president than did West Germans. Fischelis, who spent several days in Berlin interviewing East German refugees, credits this knowledge to RIAS, which is beamed to the East Zone of Germany. Since Conant's appointment, Radio in American Sector has given much attention to the details of his life.

Man on the Street Skeptic

The man on the street, associating the University president with a similar German post, was inclined to be a little skeptical. University presidents in Germany only serve a few years in a relative by minor position. West Germans hold no antipathy to the new High Commissioner as a person but did not realize the extent of a university officer's functions and prestige in America.

Germans expected Conant's appointment to take effect immediately.