Corporation Ups College Tuition to $800; Sports Fees, Tickets Included; Costs Hiked In GSAS, Education, Public Administration

Provost Buck's tuition recommendations were approved in full, the Corporation revealed yesterday. The new tuition fee for both the College and Radcliffe will be $800, beginning next fall.

At the same time, tuition in the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences, Education, and Public Administration jumped from $600 to $700 for full-time study and from $100 to $200 for reduced study at an advanced level. No action has been taken yet by the Law, Medical, Divinity, Design, and Public Health Schools.

The tuition rise for College students will include a participation ticket for the use of all athletic facilities and one ticket to all varsity sporting events held either at Soldiers Field or the Indoor Athletic Building.

Added Scholarship Funds

The Corporation also voted added funds to maintain the scholarship and financial aid program, in the light of increased expenses.

"We intend to use a substantial portion of the money gained from increased tuition as free unrestricted funds for loans and scholarships for needy students," Buck stated.

Buck explained the rise is an absolute necessity, if the University is to maintain a quality of education that cannot remain static." He remarked that Harvard has tired to forestall the rise, even though most other colleges have biked their fees during the past few years. A deficit last year, however, made the move inevitable.

High Costs

"The high cost of maintaining our standards of instruction, our tutorial, laboratories, libraries, teaching facilities, individual departments, and the decentralized House Dean system, among other things, has created a situation where we had either to raise tuition or give up something. We have decided to raise tuition," Buck went on. "Innovations cost money, if we did not do these things, we would have saved money, but not kept the quality we desired."

Buck pointed out that salary increases in all grades of the faculty have been necessary in recent years, to maintain the highest paid faculty in the country. He further indicated that the University may raise its faculty salaries even more specially on the lower levels.

"Enrollment will not be increased but still remain at 4,300 in Harvard College and 1,700 in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences," the Provost said, dispelling rumors that an enrollment change would accompany the rise.

Commenting on the new athletic arrangements, Buck replied strongly to a CRIMSON editorial saying, "We must break down the pattern that to participate in athletics, a boy has to pay at every turn. Our old policy has prevented boys from taking advantage of our athletic facilities. Athletics, and for that matter other activities called 'extra-curricular,' must be recognized as functions of education. To be honest and decent about such recognition we feel the cost should be included in the tuition."

He explained that many other colleges disguise their athletic costs by charging students fees "for general college facilities."

He said, "I'd like to see athletics get back to the situation where the students on the field play for the students in the stands. I hope this new policy will achieve that end."

The $800 tuition at Radcliffe will be in effect despite the fact that Radcliffe students will not get the free participation booklet or varsity athletic tickets. Under the existing agreement between the University and Radcliffe, the tuition of both schools must be the same. Radcliffe turns over 83% of its tuition to Harvard, and keeps the other 17% for its own use.